Sunday, August 2, 2020

Gina Looking Good Today

26 miles at 16.4 average speed. I'm impressed, all the time off, little riding and she's been looking pretty good on the bike lately. It was a really stiff headwind today. I was thinking it was me tired from yesterday but wow, I was pushing hard. Usually when it is windy, Gina struggles to stay on but today she stuck right with me. When we got to the coast, she said she was a little winded but felt OK.

We started about 11 am so she was expecting it to be HOT!  Felt hot at the start but once we started rolling, she said she could feel a cool breeze. So that was nice. A little too cool breezy on the way to the coast ha ha! On the return, we actually took it easy. Having an 18.7 or so for the return was nice. We didn't push hard or we could have probably had a 20. But I was happy with her performance and thought if we got a 16, I would be happy but a 16.4 is even better. So once I saw our average was decent, I kept it steady and not too much effort so she could enjoy the ride and not feel like she was time trialing  ha ha!

We did run into Rheo at the coast. Had a good chat then we all headed back together. He warmed up his legs with us for about 5 minutes then BAM, he was gone! 

Overall a great day! Did see Bad Bob and his friends roll by. Also Danny, a buddy on Strava.

Sad news is that the covid has hit close to home. Well, not us but one of my first cousins, close as kids has come up with the virus. He is about 2 years older than I. He and his 2 sons went to do some flooring work with a crew some time back. Not sure if it was a week or weeks. But anyway, he and his 2 sons (about 35) came up sick with fever etc. So my cousin ended up in the hospital but his 2 sons would not go. My cousin took a turn for the worse. Then seemed to get a little better as they said his vitals were improving. Then the next day they told us his kidneys and liver were failing.  Then his older son ended up having to go into the hospital as well. So it's not a good thing right now.

Sadly, my other cousin, his brother passed away less than a month ago from a major stroke. So I can imagine how my aunt is feeling right now, losing a second son in less than one month?! :-O

And of course, yesterday was Gina's first son's birthday. He would have been 40. But 20 years of kidney problems and other issues got the best of him and he passed away last year a couple of months before his 39th. The year before that, her younger son, now 34 had a major stroke and heart attack and remains pretty bad. Can't see and barely walks with a walker, is a big risk and still doing dialysis. So Gina takes the mask thing pretty seriously. Being a little uncomfortable on the bike wearing a mask is not a problem for her knowing what could happen if she happened to carry something to her son.

Amazingly, hardly anybody at the beach wears a mask, very few cyclists as well. I see where some people think it's a hoax or blown out of proportion. I think or thought so myself. But now that my cousin and his 2 sons are sick with it, I'm glad I wear a mask when I go out cycling. Yeah, I pull it down when I'm in front but when in the group or out of open fresh air, I pull my mask up to be safe. I worry about my Mom so I use the mask. Hoax or not, I can't gamble with Mom's life, or Gina' son! ;-)






                                                                                Rheo




No comments:

Post a Comment