Saturday, August 29, 2020

SOLO Fitty at 17.1, I'm Happy!

 Set out with a goal today. Wanted 50 miles and hoping for a 17.0 average speed. My legs were much fresher than last week so I felt good. Got to Yorba and knew I could do Wier Cyn no problem. It would be getting the final 4 that would worry me. Do I go down the coast? Nah, not liking the roads much lately unless I have to go. Took me a bit to figure out what to do. I'd back track on the final section to the coast as much as I didn't want to do that either. I just wanted a magical 50 to appear ha ha!

So I left the beach, went to the wooden bridge then backtracked back to the coast. Not too bad as I was expecting a big headwind. Almost seemed the same in both directions. As I was turning around, Tim rode up on his recumbent. We chatted a bit then I got ready to ride off telling him I was doing a solo effort today and wanting to ride alone. He didn't seem to care, he said he was headed that way too. Mmm, okay! He said about 30 times that he was out of shape and couldn't help me out. I didn't want help so I just shoved off. He likes to chat and I don't while riding. He had a conversation back there and I have no idea about what as I just focused on my ride aiming for my goal. He likes to ask questions and make comments but I just kept my head down ha ha! I get disturbed too many times while riding when I really just like to ride while on the bike. Once we stop, I don't mind chatting forever, but the bike, nope!

I heard his say about 30 times he couldn't help. I did hear him say at one time that I was the perfect draft for him at the height. The thought did enter my mind at one time thinking he is pretty low and his face level is like right at my butt level ha ha! Good thing I didn't drink the milk from my cereal this morning ha ha ha! But he stayed back there and I heard him after 5 or 6 miles start coughing and hacking. OK, I can't let this guy get in front of me even if I wanted help ha ha! I had my mask but didn't really want to put it on aiming for my goal. I did feel spit fly from my mouth a couple of times and wondered where it might land seeing he didn't have a mask on.  My cousin just died of Covid a week or two ago so I really didn't want anybody in front of me. Haven't seen  my cousin in a year so no worries there!

But Tim stuck on my wheel for about 9 miles then finally fell back. He was a bit back when we got to the Edna Park bridge. I was exiting as he was about 1/4 of the way across. As I slowed to drink some water, he started shouting something. I don't know what it was so I just waved and continued on alone.

Other riders do crack me up though! Wishing this guy was on Strava. I caught some dude from a mile behind, just about a mile before the coast. I saw him way back at Warner way ahead of me. So just as I am about to catch him, he looks back and picks up the pace. OK ha ha ha! Then he stands to sprint up the last underpass but I remain seated and pass him. Just a matter of time though I really wasn't playing his game,....at that point ha ha! Heck, if I catch someone from a mile behind, then he sprints and crossed the finish line, what finish line? Then I would never consider him the winner of his little game. But this dude cracked me up. Once I passed him, I don't know where he was, maybe on my wheel. But about 50 yards before the the coast, he races around me to get in front. I kind of laughed and usually I don't but I waited about 10 seconds for him to fade, and he did really quickly, then I stepped on it and blew around him like the last 20 yard ha ha ha! Just gets too tiring and funny watching these idiots make a race out of something that isn't there!

Back at Moon, park, I had like 3 guys pass me. Kind of strange looking characters. They blew around me like they were in the TDF. I let them go, young guys and I really don't care as I'm trying to hold my pace and stick to my plan. Then a mile later, all 3 guys fade and drop like hot potatoes ha ha! I just can't figure these guys out. You see somebody ahead and HAVE to pass them? Ha ha! I saw these guys on Strava and they did a 13 mile ride at 14 mph! Ha ha ha, pretty impressive! I just don't get it myself but it was a laugh rolling back around them. No, I didn't win a race, merely getting a chuckle out of the idiots!

                                            Plenty of people at the beach today.


Still got my mask though!


My oldie but goody! 1998



Tim, very concerned that I get the brand name in the pic ha ha!


Happy I beat my goal!



Spiders worked, 2 PM and nobody around ha ha.


Charge Spoon saddle again, my 3rd in a couple of months. Great saddle for $24-$28. Glad I read about them in cycling forums.


The Spiderz!







No comments:

Post a Comment