Sunday, August 16, 2020

Hot Hot Hot Ride w/Gina

 26 miles at 15.7 average speed. Temp maxed out at 100 but the average was 94. Hot for Gina but she actually handled it well. But, I did start out with a steady effort that wasn't too hard knowing the wind was going to be a factor, again. But after 3 or 4 miles, I felt the heat so I figured I'd back off and just cruise to the coast in easy effort mode. Good choice, I think it saved Gina too. Sunny day and I felt it. I think maybe still tired from Thursday and Saturday. Getting old I guess ha ha!

So we cruised to the beach but my arms were fatigued. Old age again ha ha! Nah, just tired I think. Don't see too many riders when it is this hot and especially at this time of day. Gina isn't good about getting out of bed early for rides so many times we suffer in the heat because of it. I'd rather start at 8:30 on hot days though it can be hot already by this time. But like today, almost starting at 11 am, I knew it was going to be hot, but her choice.

I don't think I saw one cyclist come up while we were at the rest spot other than a few beach cruiser types. So we headed back and thankfully we had a decent tailwind. Still hot but nice with the tailwind, always! I saw our average going up nicely so I was happy. We could have pushed but that would have defeated the whole purpose of taking it easy hoping to avoid heatstroke. So I just held a consistent steady pace, not too fast and not too much effort, just trying to make it back in one piece.

Once at ARTIC (train station), I told Gina that we ought to go inside for a bit and cool off with the AC, and the homeless people. We were in there chilling for a couple of minutes toward the back when something caught my eye. Hey, the yogurt place is open! I remembered I had some change in my bike bag so I pulled it out and hey, good enough for a yogurt. I ordered the first one for Gina to check out the price seeing the dude, foreigner dude operating the counter didn't seem to know much, hmm, strange guy.

So I bought Gina's then realized I still had enough for another, mine! Gina didn't know I had bough them so when I returned, she was pretty thrilled ha ha! Nice little treat to cool down. We both had chocolate and hers with Captain Crunch for a topping.


Now the foreigner part. I told the dude chocolate with Captain Crunch topping. He's like, WHAAAT?! Dude, c'mon, Captain Crunch ?!? I didn't say anything to him but, C'mon!

So then I ordered mine. Behind the thick glass it is hard to see the topping clearly. I see something that looks like chocolate cookies. So I ask the dude, "are those cookies?". Yeah, cookies! So I order a chocolate yogurt with chocolate cookies, I thought they were broken up Oreo cookies or similar. So I pay, get napkins, walk back to Gina and enjoy the sparkle in her hot tired face ha ha! She's happy because I chose the Captain Crunch for her. So then I take a bit of mine and c'mon dude, these are brownies! What da hell dude?!

Oh well, still cold and still chocolate. Just got a laugh out of the dude. He's pretty lost in this country I guess.  BTW, they did have a smoothie and a pretzel place hooked up with the yogurt stand. The pretzels actually sounded good with the salt but it was too freaking hot so I got the yogurt. :-P


Pretty nice though. We were nice and cooled off by the time we left and only having to roll 100 yards to the truck. Felt kind of funny though. I think there was one other person in there that was waiting for a train or bus. The others were all homeless sitting around chilling out at the tables. Oh well, at least it was cool inside and the homeless people shouting at themselves didn't actually bug us. :-O


Oh, and this new blog format, why do they do this? Extra steps to post topics and pics. Good thing it is free or I'd be mad ha ha ha!

Start of the ride. Hot but no sweat, too hot to sit around on my face. I knew here we better take it easy.


Ahh, little shade


Way back. So that is why I enjoy riding with Gina, riding together. I've had enough of those people who say they want to ride "with you", then after you pull them through the wind, they turn around with the tailwind and try to drop you. Not sure why they do this. Had some lady ask me not long ago for a ride. No thanks, done it too many times already. Ride with her then after you do the work, she tries to drop you. I think she's trying to impress her friends on strava or something. If I pull her into the wind, she's till got the energy to push it. But rather than offer a wheel, she's going to try to kill me. I know too many riders like that already. So hey, riding with Gina is almost always enjoyable to me.


After arriving at ARTIC. She said she looks hot and beat but I say these are the best pics sometimes.


OK, getting a smile going with the Captain!


Me and my chocolate cookies! Ok, whatever!


The more the happier ha ha!


In the AC but still feeling the heat and sweat.


Gina already wiped her chest but  said her chest was still sweating. Can I take a pic? OK! So I took the pic. Hey, getting my yogurt's worth ha ha!


Her back and hair are still a little wet after several minutes in the AC.



BTW, as mentioned, my cousin passed away yesterday. His two sons in the hospital still do not know. One of his sons should be getting out tomorrow but the doc told his wife he won't be the same as he has heart and lung damage from the virus.

My cousins and 2 sons did chemical type spill clean ups. Not exactly sure what they did but they were working in Catalina, a hot spot for the virus and all 3 contracted the virus. I did not know, but my cousin Joey started feeling really sick the day after his brother's services. So much that he could not talk. Now he's dead. But my thoughts are that if he was that sick the day after the services, he more than likely knew the day of that he was feeling somewhat ill. Either way, his sister is worried because she said many people at the services did not wear masks. Wowzer! It was a small ceremony and only immediate family were invited, 50 adults max were allowed. Though Mom donated money for the services, we were not invited and even had they, I myself would not have gone.


So now, Joey died, his 2 sons still sick and 2.5 weeks later, I bet the people who went without masks are shitting in their pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment