Saturday, August 8, 2020

San Clemente 60 miles.

Pretty good ride today, 60 miles at 16.9 average speed today.  Good ride and Mike went along for his first time. I think he really enjoyed it. Have to say I have been riding more and today was a better day on the same trip. Last time I was 15.7 and today a 16.9, not bad!


Started at the Corona Metro Link, SART to PCH, then across to San Clemente. Some rollers on PCH  but not too much. Stopped at A Mart for a sandwich halfway through the ride. Last time I bought a sandwich $10 and didn't have time to finish it so this time, I picked a sandwich buddy ha ha! I told Mike I would pay if he stood in line. All I as is turkey and he could pick the rest. Little did I know he was going to get marble rye which I thought only existed in Seinfeld ha ha ha! Good little sandwich but then when we hit DC, Mike picked up the ice cream cone, waffle cone so it all evens out and now I have a sandwich/ice cream buddy ha ha! Sandwich is too big to eat in the middle of a ride and last time I tossed almost half of it so it's better to make a buddy ha ha!


Was a pretty good ride but there is always the strange behavior. Seems a person, who I think is always trying to compete with me, you know the little skinny ones always want to bury the big buy. Most times I think because they think big people can't climb so they target us. But when you can surprise them, it's that much more fun!


So anyway, I'm pretty sure this person blames me for being competitive and making rides tough on them. So the first time I did the group ride thing, this person kept attacking me. Pretty obvious that the person was trying to prove a point. OK! My first time on the ride, I don't know where the hills are so how can I ride with a plan. So I'm sure that person was feeling confident. Couple of rides later, I attacked back now that I know the course and hill layout ha ha! Of course the person kept trying and every time, I retaliated with an attack of my own. SO later that person says, "people out here come to race and all I am trying to do is stretch my legs!". Yeah OK whatever! I think this person was beat at their own game ha ha!


So today, once we hit PCH, the road begins to roll and some of the detours we take have some hills. So after the A Mart lunch, this person says that everybody should slow down because they don't want to get dropped in the hills and then turns to me and says, "Mr Beanz, slow it down some in the hills!". OK, I was actually happy that someone recognized me for the hills ha ha! I'll take it!


But then right after the lunch stop, we hit a 10% grade that is about 100 yards long. I am warming up my legs after lunch and what happens? The person comes blowing by me on the first section of the hill in a full sprint. OK, yeah right! I was warming up but one of the riders, a woman, was struggling up the short steep hill. So I placed my hand on her back and gave her a little help. I whipped her up some but too steep, didn't last long so I ended up doing it 3 or 4 times. She was happy saying that she was worried she might lose he lunch so she really appreciated the boost.


Of course, I was watching out for the lady but the other person who sprinted up and around me, I thought was rather ridiculous. So yeah, pay back baby! Felt good on the hills today so I put it on as much as I could. The person even passed me once more but I made sure that it didn't last long and the very next hill, pretty sure that person figured they had no chance competing. Not that I was competing at first but once you say something dumb, it's coming if you initiate it ha ha!


Then another one of the self appointed super stars, the one that takes pics while ahead and posts them saying,"where is everybody?" like a look at me go type post, tried whipping around too. I think after trying to show off a couple of times., she figured she can't climb hills as good as she thought.


So what happens, these people and a couple of others roll by the next regroup. I guess they have too much pride to stop with the others when they're getting their asses kicked after trying to show off.  So the rest of us wait an extra half an hour wondering if they will show, maybe a flat or mechanical? But no, no answer of the cell. Nothing from 4 or 5 people. So after so long, we just roll. Wondering if they are ahead or behind. They should have called to let us know but then they probably would have got dropped again. I'm sure that is why they didn't want us to know.


So then we get to SC, and they are there. Wow! So the gal comes up to me and asks how I'm doing. i say well I'm ok but we waited and extra 30 minutes for you guys and you never showed up. She says she was getting hot and had to roll through or she'd get sick. Uhhh ok, if you didn't try to show off so much and used less energy doing it, she'd probably do much better. Riders don't always have to be at the front. Heck, every stop light, rest stop, this gal rolls through or takes off early then says how everybody has to draft her, WHAT!?!


Today, the other person was trying to show off again but getting tired doing it. So I move toward the front, maybe 4th wheel and right away, the person comes around me and takes the small space I left ahead of me. Safety cushion as I don't know some of these people. So now I am bumped out and the person gets in front of me and fades so now in a narrow part of the course, Featherly Park, the group starts pulling away and I can't get around. So  finally it opens up and I start to go around when another person comes and cuts me off almost taking out my front wheel. Mike looked and me and said, "DAMN".  Yeah he saw it and so I told him that is the kind of crap I worry about. So now I got gapped because of some ass hat, almost taken out by another, then the road goes slightly up so they both fade and I have to go around them to close a 40 yard gap. What a bunch of morons!


OK whatever! I really get frustrated riding with this kind of people. Some good cool people around but it only takes 3 ass hats to ruin the fun. But other than that, it was a cool ride. I have to try to do the group rides while avoiding these idiots!












No comments:

Post a Comment