Thursday, December 31, 2020

62 Miles Anaheim to Long Beach Lighthouse




A nice ride with the group today. 62 miles at 16.1 average speed. Strava says 60 because I forgot to restart my Garmin after a break. Had a few riders, maybe 13 I think. But pretty much the same old story. A little frustrating with the people and the tactics. Starts out fast and I'm trying to hang on without a warmup then a couple miles later, the speed is way down. I never understand it but that is the way it happens.

So I get in the front to set the pace. Doing pretty well keeping the group together just keeping it steady. Couple times I looked back and there must have been 15 people as other jumped on too. A couple of guys hopped on as we went by but I was just holding it steady. They must have recovered then one at a time, both guys went around and took off. One guy almost took out the wheel of one of our gals. But the guys get about 50 yards ahead, and as usual, they fade. So I go around them again but this time I said to one of the guys. "THAT WAS PRETTY IMPRESSIVE!!!!". He just said, I know! :-/  Then as they jumped back in line, Erik told the guy, "DON'T EVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!" ha ha ha! Then, we ended up dropping them far behind. We stopped for a break at the wooden bridge before the coast then a few minutes later, they went by with their heads between their tales type of look. But one guy did say thanks, so that was cool!

But our little group headed across PCH to Long Beach. Here, again frustrated. I am let's say 4th in line but we have to stop at a red light. Here comes the slower riders all crowding around the lead rider. I don't understand it but it would be more organized if they kept in order. So the light turns green and half of them can't clip in quickly so I get blocked and the group splits. I'm not going around in traffic to get a spot. Then later, half the group runs a yellow light and we're stopped, maybe 4 of us. So the front group keeps going and never looks back. I'm different. If my group is split, soft pedal or maybe even wait. As we roll on, I can't even see the group ahead on PCH. But I stay at the front when Tim comes around and gives me a hand. That helped a lot. I had pulled a lot and was hoping somebody else had the balls to help out.

I was surprised as most other guys will get brave but race ahead instead of helping out. I have no idea what they plan to gain doing that. On the way back, I was holding the pace for the group almost all the way back from LB to HB. Along PCH, one of the guys would shoot around and take off. OK great, draft for 5 miles then shoot off instead of helping. And of course, a 1/2 mile later, roll him in. I even had gals asking me today, why does he do that? Hard to understand. At the end of the ride, the guy has like a 14.3 average speed and I a 16.1. Seems like he/they would want to try to work 
TOGETHER"  instead of showing off. Maybe the guys are too concerned about trying to impress the women.

But I got plenty of compliments today by the women for holding it together. So that is cool! Women fighting for my wheel ha  ha ha!

But on the return, again. We start out, and a couple of riders shoot off ahead even before I can get on the trail. So I have to work pretty hard to catch up. Once I do, they pull over, OK I'm tired! WTF!!! So later, after pulling them for a while, I picked  up the pace and dropped them. Then as I got tired, Milton asked me how fast I wanted to go. 18 was good as it was a headwind. Really bummed after expecting a tailwind. So we were working pretty hard and the effort to do 21 or 22, I found myself doing 17. Heck, at one point, I fell off Milton's wheel at 17.5. I think I was getting tired from being at the front of the group most of the day.

A good burrito at a place called Sancho's. But it's funny! Helen, who is half my size ate the same big fat burrito I had. She beat me by like 15 minutes and downed it all. But I'm watching her scarf down this huge burrito and I'm gaining the weight ha ha ha!

But overall a nice ride. Would be nice to have more help holding steady though! ;-)


A few still images till I get the video made!











No comments:

Post a Comment