Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Solo Night Ride BLSB Ride with 2 Lorraines

 Solo 25 at 13.6 average speed. I call this my BLSB ride as described in a previous post. But this time, I descended Valley Center, back to Foothill, across again to Lorraine for a second little gentle climb to add some mileage. Last time it was like 22 and 800 ft.  This time I got 25 miles and 1,102 ft of climbing. That is what I wanted, 25 and 1k if possible. Worked out just right.

I did wear my brightest jersey for night visibility. But again, once I got to the start, it was cold and I know I'd need my windbreaker and tights. I was prepared ha ha! The face masks covers the ears as well and keeps me from sucking in too much cold air. Seems to be working as usually I get a little scratchy after a cool ride. I did forget to stuff tissue in my ears this time so the cool air was felt a bit more tonight. Minimum temp 55 but felt even cooler than the other night at the same temps though the high was 5 more degrees at 62.

Strange thing though. I thought climbing up Lorraine right to the base of GMR, that it would be cold. But it actually warmed up. Not that I was climbing but the air was warm. I even stopped to feel the air thinking that was strange. But once back to Bonita, much lower elevation, it was really chilly. Heck, almost felt like I had a migraine or toothache coming on. But no, just the cool air!

It is strange because I feel like I am riding at a good pace but when I look at my average, what the heck is going on ha ha!? Maybe it is the cold air? It did feel windy last night but I think it is more than that, like dense air, I dunno! I just know the times are slower than the Spring and Summer rides out there. Hmm, could just be the dark itself. It is a little scary going down too fast in some of the areas I am not too familiar with yet. Descending Valley Center from GMR is one place that can be fast but I back off at night not knowing the curb arrangement. Pretty straight but curves around near the lower section and I'm  not wanting to hit a curb at speed. Figure at some points I am doing 25 on roads I am not too familiar with and at night. Not to tough but not familiar with the road and a bunch of cars behind me on the descent yesterday. Where did they all come from last night? Haven't seen it that busy before, not even in the car ha ha!

But anyway, another successful ride and a good time!                                               



                       Well heck, got my bright jersey and it does no good with the windbreaker.


But I have to show the old fart ha ha!


I'm always trying to catch the bike lane logo in a pic. A little closer tonight but still a miss!


Those drivers are after me! Not really, I am surprised at how courteous traffic is when I ride. I have had maybe 2 cars race me to the intersection which is fine with me. I'll let them win, matter of fact, I want them to win. That means they get there first and not the same time so I am more than happy to back off a step if I hear traffic behind me approaching and intersection. But some just stay behind me even when I don't want them to, like 30 yards before the intersection. I guess it's safer for me so once I know, I kick up my speed to get out of their way and keep myself alive at the same time. My average speed is not worth getting hurt and losing to a car at an intersection costing me 10 seconds won't really affect my average speed anyway.


That Halloween house is also a Christmas house. Wow, this place goes all out for the holiday!

The house and yard.


Opposite side of the sidewalk. Like a little Santa seat ha ha ha! I mean Ho ho ho!



No comments:

Post a Comment