Saturday, December 5, 2020

Solo Fat Bastard Fitty!

(((Video after the weekend, compilation of both days when I get enough footage for a video.)))

 Solo 50 miles at 16.4 average speed. Somebody turned on the wind a few weeks ago but forgot to turn it off ha ha! Strange day today, seemed the wind felt exactly the same going both directions. I got back to the train station and saw that I needed 3 more miles to make 50 so why not. I turned around heading back south for 1.5 miles then turned around again heading back to the station to make and even 50. I noticed my speed heading north was ok then turning around, I expected it to be slower but it was the same. OK, I'll take it!

I did run into Tony and Thai at the coast at breaktime. I was ready to head back and so they left with me. Tony said he was going to take it easy but he seems to go fast without moving his legs. I't like he is doing 15 RM but rolling easily at 20 ha ha! I'm starting to think he has a motor hidden somewhere on his bike. It looks like the e-bike riders, barely spinning his legs but moving at a fast rate of speed while I'm doing 100 rpm falling behind ha ha!

We separated at the start so he was about 30 yards ahead most of the way so in actuality, I probably drafted Tony for a mile or two so I think that still counts as solo. Along the way, Tony overtook some dude riding alone. At a good rate of speed, I thought he would just fall back but the dude hopped on rather quickly. He said he was going to sit at the back while he could if we didn't mind. I said Tony was at the front so it didn't matter to me ha ha! As we approached Tony's turn off, the dude went around and said we would catch him again. I said Tony was turning off and doing a solo 50, I wasn't sure as it seemed windy to me. So the dude rolled ahead as Tony turned off the trail.

I thought the dude would just roll away as he increased his speed and seemed to be doing well. He got about 75 yards ahead of me so I thought he was gone. But next thing I know, I'm catching up and he looks kind of beat. He did say he was doing 100, I said nice! So maybe the distance was getting to him and he was fading. I caught up on one of the little upside ramps of the underpasses. But I backed off not wanting anybody on my wheel. Yeah, heck man, can't ever just ride my bike without unknown riders hopping on. I just figured if I hang back some, he'll go ahead and I'll get my target speed anyway.

But he faded about 1/2 mile before Edna Park. I was staying about 40 or more yards back. So seeing he looked like he was going to fade, I picked it up and rolled around him hoping he wouldn't be able to catch on. He didn't, he faded back rather quickly. Many times I just feel like I don't need anybody's help and riding alone is a good workout.

Part of the reason I did it was some chick earlier ha ha! If one goes onto a cycling forum and mentions female riders not being as strong as male riders, boy you are about to take a rash of sheot ha ha! So heading south along the golf course just before Edna Park, I noticed a chick up ahead, doing pretty well it seemed. But I went by and not more than 2 seconds, she was like 2 inches from my wheel. 

I guess I am different. If I don't start a ride with a friend, or run into a friend who wants to ride together, I don't hop the wheel of every Tom. Dick, and Harry. So it tripped me out that she was so quick to hop on, almost onto the back of my saddle ha ha!

I turned on my rear recorder then she said I would not want any pics of her. Well, it is a video and I mentioned that knowing several riders out there, I record my rides and friends as we cross paths so since you're on my wheel........ :-P

But I turned off into Edna Park to refill my water bottle. I only have one when I use the rear saddle rail mount for the go pro. I can't use a seat pack for tools so I use one bottle cage to carry supplies. So I was out of water and needed to stop figuring the windy section from Edna to HB was about to start, I need water.

But later around Warner, I caught back up to her. I saw that an underpass was just ahead so I backed off so that I would not pass her just quite yet. If I do, she'll for sure jump my wheel. So I waited then as she started up the far side, I went around with a running start from behind and hammered up the ramp. I pushed hard for about 50 yards then sat up and turned my head to see if I could tell where she was at with my peripheral vision. Sure enough, she was about 15 yards behind me and I could see that she was pushing hard to get my wheel ha ha! So I hammered another 50 yards and noticed she was falling slightly back. Screw it, I hammered another half mile then looked back and she was gone. I jsut figure she's going to ride my wheel all the way to the coast and if I point her to the front, she'll turn her head  ha ha! Heck, we saw this with the guys the last few weeks. OK, call me a MSP but I know this gal ain't going to help me and I really don't care about being friends ha ha!

Earlier in the ride, I did see Rick, his buds Al and gang. I was somewhere near the Honda Center when I saw them heading the opposite direction so I through a quick U-eh and rolled up on them from behind to get some video footage. I also went to the front for a little so that I could capture them in the  front view with my rear recorder. I stopped at a ramp and turned around and that is when Alyce rolled up and stopped for a chat. She was doing a 60 mile ride, wow. I wimped with only 50 ha ha!

Oh, I have to mention this A hole on the trail. He was a strong rider and passed me from behind. He was looking back, probably expecting me to take his wheel, more than likely, not wanting me to. But hey, I don't make an uninvited guest out of myself so he just rolled ahead. I was keeping my own pace but he faded some and I started to gain back though I was not trying. I was trying to maintain my own pace into the wind. So we roll across the last bridge before the coast heading south. He slowed significantly after the bridge so I had gained back from a 50 yard gap to 10 or so. I don't race across the bridge but he really slowed down on it so I had to hang back figuring he is a faster rider so I didn't want to force him to pass me again for no reason.

Oh yeah, I forgot, the A hole had a blaring speaker on his bike. As we turn back onto the paved trail heading south, he rolls up on a couple of beach cruisers doing about 10 mph. There was at one time plenty of space to roll around but he slows to the 8 and sits behind the couple. Then I roll up but there is traffic heading the opposite way so I am forced to slow behind him as he is still stalling.

What does the idiot do? He pulls off his helmet and starts slapping it to clean it off and then he starts waving it in the air side to side as if to clean off his sweat. Oh thanks moron, now you're tossing your covid crap in the air so I have to hope you aren't a carrier. I just that was rude during these times, but that's not all!

So the A hole is still sitting behind the cruisers at 8 mph and now that it is clear, doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I gave him a minute, as I said, I don't like to pass someone who will have to pass me back, unnecessary movements and risks.

But he is going nowhere so I shout onyerleft and start to pass and just as I get there, he swerves hard to the left and almost takes out my wheel. Of course the idiot had the music blaring and was too stupid to look back first. Yeah, I always make sure it is safe to pass and give warning but it is also the responsibility of the A hole with a blaring speaker to look back and make sure it is safe before passing other riders. Just too many stupid riders out there!


                                                                    Some Alyce pics






Hardly anybody at the coast


Empty path as well


Tony's bike. He says he bought it used and has no idea
the brand. But I bet it has a hidden motor ha ha!


First time I'd been upstairs at the train station. Had to pee and
the restrooms downstairs were being cleaned. But there is a restaurant up there.
Closed but it is there!


Looking down onto the pretzel, smoothie place.


From upstairs looking out!


Wow, not sure if they kicked out the homeless but they are all over the stops. Throwing crap, thought I heard a bottle but luckily it didn't break. There was some respectable looking older woman
walking out to the benches as if to catch a bus when I was walking out. I felt sorry for her, almost thought I should wait there till her bus comes. But that could have been a pretty long time. But 
I would almost guess she was afraid to be out there with all these idiots.



No comments:

Post a Comment