Thursday, March 5, 2020

25 Night Miles Lady & Gents Ride

I should have a video by Friday night.


25 DARK miles on a group ride tonight, 15.5 average speed. The ride is called Ladies and Gents ride organized by Eric P. who I met on the bike forums years ago. I think his name is SoCalCyclist on the board.  Also ran into a dude I met on the forums as well, on a forum GMR ride I had organized. Shame none of the current posters on the forum, oh wait, there are only about 3 or 4 ha ha, take charge and organize a few forum rides. So I ran into this dude who I haven't seen in about 15 years. It was good to chat with him for a bit about the cycling life.

Anyway, it was cool to ride and see some forum member friends again. Of course they don't visit the forums any longer. Hmm, wonder why ha ha!

So anyway, you know me, I avoid group rides other than my little circle of friends. We had been invited to do some group rides in the past and boy that was scary. Everybody starts out at 25 MPH leaving many behind, no organization, no direction. Turned out bad for us. People got hurt, luckily not me or Gina. But I avoid group rides like the plague.

Eric had invited me before but I did my best to avoid group rides but this was refreshing. Eric actually gave out safety direction at the beginning of the ride. I think every group should have reminders. Turned out to be a good group of people. VERY surprising to me that there were so many women. You know me, I appreciate the woman beauty but I'm taken ha ha! Kidding of course, but I will say that I have never seen so many strong women, very attractive women all in one place. All of them were attractive but man they were strong! I guess that is what surprised me.  A whole group of pretty women, there has to be a couple of weak one but boy was I wrong. I had to try really hard to keep from getting my butt handed to me on a platter ha ha!

But the group was really good and seemed everyone was considerate of one another and concerned. Somebody flatted and called out. The lead riders could not hear. But I let Eric know so we waited at the next regroup. Eric decided to ride back to see if he could lend a hand. That was cool. I know I myself have been left high and dry but a couple of my own personal friends.  So I was happy he thought enough about his group to go back. He did a pretty good job of leading the people.

I myself was a little timid, or should I say holding back on the ride at first not knowing where the heck I was going in the dark. I looked at the course on Strava of past posts but thought I know the roads, I could not memorize the course. So I actually started at the back figuring I would just follow. But again, I was surprised and the women just rolled away from em. Uh oh, I need to get my butt in gear ha ha!

In some sections it was dark so I had no idea where I was at times. Usually  works against me when I am riding blind, no idea of the course or where I was. I know at one point, we started up a road, not even sure where I was, all I know is I was going up.Not being familiar I had no idea how much energy to apply not knowing where the top of that climb might be. I had no idea where to relax and when to push. I remember on one road, it was a gentle climb. After a bit I was wondering where the relief was. I didn't know so I told myself to just keep going till I pass out ha ha!

Kind of tough because you're riding starting to catch your breath then the riders pick it up into a semi sprint knowing where the top is but I'm just following and boom, they're pulling away. Ha ha I know it will take me a few rides to get familiar with the course so I know when I can put in some effort knowing I will shortly get some relief.

But it was a good ride, I am going back for sure! Already got my invite for next week couple hours after the ride. I did take the pics but I was a bit hesitant to take the camera out. Worried if I slowed to snap a few shots, I'd be dropped like a hot potato. But after the ride, I felt good so I think I will survive next time as well,hopefully more pics.





                            SoCalCyclist (exact name ?) on the bike forums, Erik. Fearless leader.



Good, nice people!


These women were kick ass!


A bit blurry but maybe that bus caught my attention ha ha!


OK, am I lost?




No comments:

Post a Comment