Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Purty Flower

So, I posted before about the rose bushes, yard and other things having fixed up in the house since we moved in. I can't count the things, maybe over 100 starting the day we moved in. The first day was a leaky hose under the restroom vanity. Wall holes, paint, floors, baseboards, windows, doors, refrigerators, the yards, you name it!

Well anyway, from a dead lawn and gopher hole city not being able to walk in the yard without sinking down ha ha! Anyway, there are 3 rose bushes. 2 I was told were totally wasted.  They did not produce flowers for a couple of years I was told. Well one is my Mom's and one is my Dad's who passed 19 month ago. I started watering them and caring for them a bit and what the heck do you know? Flowers, actually quite a few on special occasions, their anniversary and Mother's Day. Very strange, maybe a sign from Dad.

Well I looked it up and trimmed them as best I could with some instruction from the youtube experts, thanks! I trimmed them into birdcage figures as directed, cut the stems and branches at angles so the rain would not collect causing bacteria. Came out pretty sweet and I impressed myself ha ha! The amazing thing is that not long after, the bushes grew beautiful. Nice rich green leaves, very clean looking and I started spraying aphid protection on the bushes. Next thing I know, roses galore on one of the bushes, the pink one, my Mom's.

She ended picking those and the roses from my Dad's front yard bush to take to the cemetery for him. Now my Dad's backyard bush is growing some rose buds so soon, there will be white roses.

But my Dad's favorite rose and bush was in the front yard. He loved the yellow roses trimmed with red. Now this busy is a tree like bush, I guess. It is a taller bush with a trunk about 4 feet tall then the bush grows at the top of that. I was told the thing was dead and had not produced any flowers for some time. Heck, the trunk looked like old broken wood ready to crumble.

I started caring for it as well. I trimmed it, did everything I could to do it right. Next thing I know, there are beautiful green leaves growing out of the upper section. Nice beautiful green healthy looking growth. Then the buds! Mom is amazed as Dad used to use rose food, all kinds of stuff to make them grow but they didn't do well. I dunno!

Soon there are several beautiful buds, beautiful green leaves and beautiful roses coming to life. Wow, they are very pretty and I can see why they were my Dad's favorite.

So they grew really nice and then the rain comes as well as the Corona Virus. I take my Mom to the cemetery at least once every 2 to 3 weeks but to my surprise, my brother offer to take her this time. Like the 2nd or 3rd time in 19 months. Heck, I'll take it and Mom loves to visit.

So with the social distancing thing going on, Mom picks the flowers from the front, Dad's favorite and the pink roses from the back. No need to go to the flower shop or buy flowers at the cemetery. Great for social distancing ha ha!

So I took a pic of the flowers a couple days before they were taken. I took a few on a rainy night that I liked. But this was my favorite. Nice strong looking flower just like Dad liked them, the yellow with the red trim. ;-)

One of my favorite pics! A sign of good things in this suck filled world and tons of selfish hoarding people panicking for no reason. Tells me there are still some good things left in this world!


This is the front yard now.  It was brown and dead when I came back home. 40 years later I'm back ha ha! If you read posts from a year ago, you would know I did not care for the lawnmower man. Won't even call him a landscaper. He wouldn't set the sprinkler timer for my Mom when she lived alone. Said he did not know how, let the yard die, front and back. I came in and showed him he better be on his toes. I did things my Mom wanted done and things that really bothered me that he had not been doing. Like leaving a piece of wire fence laying in the corner of the back yard allowing grass to grow up through it. I guess he figured it was easier to let it lay there and grow. I picked it up, 30 second job and made sure he cut the grass the next time he came.  Really annoying when somebody like that takes advantage of your blind mother.

I went out there, fixed up a few things, fertilized the yard, and made sure he was cutting the grass right and not half ass like he had been.

So now the grass is green and looking nicer than ever. Keep that dude on his toes and he needs to earn his pay now ha ha!

But the yard looks fine now! Much better, no dead brown grass.





No comments:

Post a Comment