Saturday, March 28, 2020

GMR to the Shack, then Partial Again

22.4 miles with 3,015 of gain. Solo social distancing on GMR today ha ha! I went up to the shack on GMR, headed down then a repeat of a section to get in the 3k climbing. I took advantage of today and tried to dial in my saddle height. Heck, what better place to see if you're losing power from being too high or too low ha ha! Well it did give me time to recover having a good excuse to stop on the way up. Overall time to the shack was about 7 minutes more than usual but my actual ride time was about the same as always so that's good with the way I felt today. Wow, thought I was dying there for a bit but I lived. Sometimes you worry about making it then when you get to the top you think, I got a little bit 'mo! Almost thought I didn't when I got down to the 3 mile point. That is where I stopped on the descent to turn around and climb back up.

I thought a higher saddle height might help me climb better. Too high, too low, too high, then just right but nope, didn't help ha ha! No saddle height will cover up the old age and old legs ha ha! But I'm still trying!

So anyway, on the way up I saw about 10 guys thinking it there would be very very few riders. But once I descended. there were a whole gang of riders coming up. I saw about 30 heading up. Pretty rare to what I have seen in the past. But I will say once I got to the shack, it was pretty chilly so I guess these people had the right idea. I did start late about 10:30 so I thought I was late, guess not!

Anyway, climbing GMR makes you strong and I need it right now. I do think my saddle height correction helped plenty. After a few rides on the trail, terrible cramps. Not sure how it got low seeing I had it marked. No slipping, got me! Anyway, last few rides, no cramps so I much have gotten it back to good!

One thing I have noticed lately is that all the GMR riders are fast nowadays. Back in the day I would see all types. I guess I am the only normal cyclist these days willing to do GMR ha ha! While all the locals I know on cycling forums are still debating whether or not to try it. Hmm, I'm probably the heaviest guy I know but I'm up here. I will say that on cycling forums, I have been accused of being too rough on fellow cyclists. OK, they are sissies so they deserve it ha ha! Get up here and ride!


                                                           Almost to the shack!







First mile or two, switchbacks 8 miles to the shack.


No comments:

Post a Comment