Saturday, April 4, 2020

47 miles Solo Cactus Ride

Set out today to do maybe 50, whatever came out of these old legs. Managed 46.8 (46.9 Garmin) at a 16.9 average speed. Not bad and better than the last solo trail ride.  Legs were burning, breath was fine so it was the legs that seemed to be the limiting factor today. Though they burn like heck heading into the wind ha ha! Say Tony and Thai heading the opposite way as well as Bad Bob. Seems the rough guys are still riding ha ha!

I did call this one The Cactus Ride because last night, I jumped up to get a lemon off a tree we saw. When I came down, the ground was not lever under some ivy. I went off balance then fell down on my back and legs across a cactus plant. Yes, wearing shorts! I spent most of the night picking needles out of my leg that I could not see right after the fall. Hope I got them all! :-O Lots of peroxide and Neosprin ha ha! But I lived and the irritation and itching was not a factor on the ride. :-P

Strange wind today. Heading inland North, the wind got pretty stiff around Kraemer to Yorba park. Then nice for a bit till I hit the Honda Center then a stiff headwind heading South. I had a 16.6 average speed when I  hit Edna Park. But that changed real quick when I started out to the coast after a water break. My average dropped from 16.6 to a 16.0 average once I hit the beach. And I was trying hard to push hoping to save the average. Legs burning but I tried ha ha!

Kind of heart broken because I did feel good today so I thought I could get a 17 average but down to 16. Only one way I could do it, ride hard on the return. I think I rode harder on the return trying and I got close with a 16.9 so I'll take it!

At the end of the ride, I ran into Richard getting ready at his truck. Stopped for a little chat then he headed off to the coast. Wow, I bet the wind was really stiff at this time. Good luck Richard! I started late about 10:45 and the wind felt stiff at that time. Of course I was too lazy and enjoying my sheets this morning ha ha!

The E bike guy ha ha! As I left the coast, some guy was coming up from behind me. I hope he posts on Strava so I can trace his tracks. I was just trying to get my average back up so I was pushing pretty good. He stayed back about 40 yards. Then somewhere around the soccer fields, maybe 7 miles in, he passes me. I just keep pushing and he's looking back at me funny. I don't see what kind of thrill guys on E bikes get out of passing people who actually pedal their bikes. I kept pushing on and he ends up about 100 yards ahead of me. Reminded me of Ron & Dixie when a chick made a sarcastic comment about her E bike (Should have gotten an E bike! Then got passed a short distance later). I saw his bike when he went by, one of those inconspicuous types, the battery in the downtube looking like a regular bike, no big back hub.

But I kept on trying to keep my average up. I soon see another cyclist ahead and the motor guy is catching him. He passes the guy and I'm trying hard to improved my average but notice I am catching the other rider as well.  The motor guy passes the other rider but I'm catching both and closing in.

Soon I notice the motor guy has passed the other cyclist but now he's pedaling his ass off ha ha! I'm guessing his battery died and he ain't so fast no more ha ha! I end up passing the other guy but as we approach an underpass,  we head down and I'm about 10 yards behind the guy, don't want to be here though. I figure on his heavy bike, he will go down fast but when we hit the other side, he starts pedaling like a bat out of hell but going nowhere fast. So I stomp on my pedals and fly right by him. I gave it all I had at this point but look back to see where he is, in return ha ha! Man, he was falling back fast and the other cyclist eventually passes him as well ha ha! I have no idea why these guys want to race us real pedal people. I've already had so many E bike people ride by with their strange attitudes ha ha! Well if you're going to show off, at least charge your freaking battery first! :-P

Strangely, the trail was not all crowded like the people on the forums claim. Yes, last couple of weeks there were more families and a lot of walkers mostly on the sand. But NO! There are not big social groups of people hanging out and making it dangerous for passing cyclists. I did see more families last week but today I only saw maybe 4 families from the wooden bridge to the coast.

The bad thing, I  saw a few illegal gang banger wannabes under the pass on the south side of the Edna Park bridge. Wow man, I sure the cops stay on top of these guys. Two weeks in a row I see them hanging out and placing cardboard over the holes to make little hangouts.

Also, I rode GMR last week and NO! There are not big social groups hanging out like the forum people claim. Again, forum people talking out of their asses when they don't even know. Assuming ass hats. Maybe they ought to go check it out before they make false claims out of their asses. Forum people!





Helmet hair, yes crazy smile is intentional


Rest rooms closed at Enda. Parking lot also roped off. Cyclists parking on the streets.



But yes, 2 restrooms still open at the coast.


Richard


Wedgie Girl on a single speed (or fixed)


No comments:

Post a Comment