Saturday, April 25, 2020

Solo Go Pro Mount Testing Ride

46 miles at 16.5 average speed today. Solo ride. Man it felt really hot. You know the first one or two hot days of the season feel especially hot. I think the temp said 93 max today on my Garmin. Either way, I think everybody started early because the lot was full when I arrived at the parking but totally empty when I got back. Didn't see many at all on the return once I was beyond the wooden bridge heading North.

Ran into Alex at Yorba Park. He did another 100 miles today. Short chat today then we headed off. I placed the new mount on the top tube to get a new view, trying to mix it up. But boy it was hard to pedal with the camera barely hitting the inside of my knee. May have to slide it up a bit because it was tough riding to the coast bow legged for 20 miles ha ha!

I took about 6 scenes with this handlebar/seatpost/pole mount and maybe 2 came out ok after some stabilization during editing. But I will have to say this mount sucks ha ha! I just ordered a similar one off the net for half the price of the Go Pro. I'm thinking it's going to be much better as it is made of aluminum like my K Edge mounts. These cheap plastic connectors and buckles from Go Pro vibrate way too much! I'm hoping the cheap Chinese will be better, matter of fact, I'm betting on it.

As far as a handlebar mount, this thing sucks being upward. I couldn't even post 1 of the 10 clips I recorded. Way too much vibration. When I flipped it, maybe 3/4 of the clips came out OK, that's about it. So the K Edge it is because Go Pro sucks. Good cameras but the mounts suck. I bought this one hoping it would be an improvement. Nope, maybe one or two different angles for a video but other than that, it might sit in a box till I learn to water ski or something ha ha! Not worth the $29 I paid for it.

But it was a good day on the bike. New headset was real smooth. Cleaned my oldie bike before the ride and it performed well. Heck, if anyone couldn't keep up, it was me not the old bike ha ha!

By the time I reached Edna Park 20 miles in, I was sweating pretty good with the heat. Been a long time since my legs have dripped like this.  But approaching the beach, it was foggy, wow! Of course leaving the beach, a mile in and back to the heat.

I did get taken out by a beach cruiser! Well forced off the trail is all since I have those cat like instincts ha ha!

I was approaching some dude on a beach cruiser from behind.  Ringing my bell, shouting out so you would figure he heard me but he kept a straight line so I thought he might go straight as we approached the first off ramp leaving the coast, just before the first underpass. I did slow knowing too many non users don't know the procedure so I thought this guy might do something stupid. I slowed, if I lose .1 off my average so what! I don't want to get hurt.

Sure enough, just as I get on his side, he turns left without looking, exiting the ramp. I was expecting something  so being careful, I just went with the flow rolling up the ramp on his left like we were riding partners ha ha! He looks at me startled and said, "Oh man, sorry dude, I didn't see you there!". Of course he didn't and didn't hear me either as he had headphones on. Good thing I keep an eye out for morons. I wasn't upset but I gave him the stink eye anyway. So I had to roll up, slow then turn around to get back on the trail. But, most important, I'm not hurt and a good lesson I have learned over the years, don't assume and slow down if you have to! Not worth getting hurt and we should know all the newb users on the trail really don't know much about trail etiquette. Heck, 70% of the roadies out there are lost too ha ha!

Really short video of Alex testing my new Go Pro Mount.





                                                                Action shot of Alex



Bow legged riding ha ha!



After the ride. Sometimes putting the bike away in the heat is harder than the ride itself ha ha!


Been along time since I've seen this sweat.


Hot inland, fog at the coast


But I did get my old baby all cleaned up for today


Foggy baby!


Hot and lonesome on the return. Feel like I just crossed the Sahara


Where did everybody go?



$30 junk. Well one cool feature is pressing on the tab, the mount will swivel 360 degrees. Maybe a trick shot or two.



No comments:

Post a Comment