Saturday, April 18, 2020

Solo Drunk Bastard Ride

Solo 46 miles today and boy, I sure felt like a drunk bastard trying to cut through the headwind with a 16.3 average speed. Tucked my jacket into my jersey then hit some rain for a little bit. Maybe a mile and a half but somewhat light so by the time I figured I'd need it, the rain ended. Only enough to wet the pavement some and get the bike dirty. I lubed the chain this morning so I should be good ha ha!

Used a homemade mask from a hanky and a couple of pony tail elastic bands. Actually worked and stayed in place really well, I was surprised. But again, once you start sucking wind, the mask affects the breathing. Few open spaces I had to pull it down or pass out ha ha! But it worked well and much more comfy than the medical masks.

OK, does the wind ever go away? Heck, couple weeks back a 16.9 average, next week a 16.6, and today a 16.3, what the heck Mother Nature? Been picking up the mileage so I'm expecting to do a little better with the averages but no no says Mama ha ha! Freaking wind! Gina told me that the forecast called for wind today, the gusty type. But I didn't notice it. More like a constant stiff headwind.

Oh well, I got in my exercise.

About the masks, is the threat over? I don't think so, didn't hear anything about it. What I find funny is that so many people bash Trump for not reacting soon enough. I'm not big into politics but when you see people on facebook bash Trump over and over and over, but yet they refuse to wear a mask, are they any better? I don't think so. I remember one guy constant complaining about Trump. Did you vote? Nope! Then shut the hell up you moron!

I look at the masks the same way. I really don't know what the heck is going on but people are dying. Whether or not I believe it's real, if it's over, or not, I did not hear anyone say it is clear to congregate. Or that the virus stopped spreading.

I'm trying to keep my 81 year old Mom alive so I'll wear a mask and not gamble with her life.

I was really surprised. Today I would say 90% of the cyclists out there today were not wearing masks. Maybe 80% of the people I saw walking were not as well. Wow! That is on them I guess, just surprised.

Saw a couple buds ride by today. Tony and Thai at the coast. They left a bit before me like a couple of bullets. But later down the trail I managed to catch back up so I snapped a shot ha ha!

Funny weather today though. My Gamin says a low of 62 and a high of 84. I believe it, cold, dark and rain inland then sunshine at the coast.

 Stimulus bike stuff ha ha! New Polar bottle. My bud who owns Mark's bike shop has no Camelback Podium bottles so I tried the Polar. Not bad, love bottles with a no drip valve. Not into insulated, like the regular ole bottles.



New gloves. I really thrashed my other gloves  but I'll save them for solo night rides where nobody can see or smell them ha ha!


I think one of them has lost his direction home ha ha!


Man, that Thai has big balls ha ha!




Homemade mask. materials $250, saving a life, Priceless! :-P


No comments:

Post a Comment