Saturday, May 2, 2020

Closed Beach Ride

The video from last night!







Solo 43 miles today at 16.1 average speed. Pretty buys day on the trail today. OK, now it is busy and getting overcrowded. I started at Rampart then rode to Yorba Park to start. Man it was busy, must have seen a hundred people in just that short section. Plenty of unfamiliar once a year type riders. Heading back South, I ran into another hundred or more before getting to the Honda Center.  I almost thought of just calling the ride and heading home because I was a bit worried what the rest of the trail would be like as far as a crowd.

But South of Edna Park there were very little cyclists. I saw maybe 3 heading my way and 50 or so heading the opposite way. Seemed to be the more seasoned riders who don't have a problem going into the wind. Once I reached the final wooden bridge, I may have hit another 10 families who were well behaved. Usually this section is the busiest imo but today, it was the inland area. I'm guessing the locals knew the beach was closed so they didn't waste their time. The inland people riding inland but not willing to hit up the beach ha ha!

Did see Bad Bob, Tony and Thai heading the other way for a quick wave and shout. Funny though riding late Friday night. Ride the bike, go home eat dinner at midnight, go to bed, wake up, get back on the bike and ride again. I don't even really remember what happened in between. All I know was ride, eat, sleep, ride ha ha!

I heard the beach was closed and that was another factor of me thinking of cutting it short, maybe at the wooden bridge. But I had to see for myself how they had this set up. Now I know! I took my break there at the cement barrier, maintenance and lifeguard vehicles making sure people didn't climb over the barrier.

Had the chance to talk to a couple of people, one dude and another pretty nice lady. Voicing their opinions on the matter. The lady actually said she thought about crossing just to see what they would do. The more I talked to her, the more I saw she was the type that might jump down from the stands at a ball game and run across the field with all the refs and officials chasing her across the field ha ha! Funny entertaining lady, had a good chat.

Heading back, there were far less people. Not too bad by the coast. Only bad thing is all the locals come from Newport and some from the trail and stop of the little curve climb at the coast. So once you cross under PCH, be careful because they block the lanes every which way but loose ha ha!

The trail was crowded but again, the biggest threat to me today was the idiot Lance wannabe who thinks a crowded trail, especially at this time, is his solely for his TT training. What an idiot! I was approaching two other riders heading the opposite direction. I was in the center of the lane not knowing anybody was coming up from behind. Just as I cross with the two other riders, this moron squeezes between us. Stupid idiot! I would have been more than happy to slide over to the right giving him room for all our safety had I known he was approaching. But stupid idiots think they are too cool and too fast to keep us all safe. Those are the idiots and the biggest threats on the trail in my opinion!

At the start of my ride, about 6 miles in, Jose R. and his buddy caught me from behind so Jose and I chatted for a bit. He warned me of how crowded the trail was. He wasn't lying ha ha!

                                                                    Jose and his buddy!



Maybe 10 miles into the ride, the look of, do I really want to ride here today?


The road block to the beach stop.




So those disabled Vietnam vets are ganging up again. OK not really, more like scumbags who don't give a damn about the area. New fresh decorations too. Out of the frame, a pallet jack. WTF, why do they not arrest these people? Or at least take away their weed and spray cans. They did not like the fact I took their pic. They started shouting as I rolled by snapping the camera. Then I dropped my chain on the wooden bridge. I thought maybe one smart ass would come over and talk trash. Nope, they seemed to calm down a bit when I stopped ha ha! I'm sure they didn't realize I dropped my chain. You know, clean the bike real good then everything works too good ha ha!


After the ride, still having fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment