Monday, May 11, 2020

OK so I went a bit go pro crazy !!!

Why did not anybody tell me about this stuff years ago?! Wow, I see that some of this stuff has been around for years, back in 2013 on youtube. I got my recorders back in 2012 I believe. It has been around almost as long a I have had my recorders but I continue to struggle with cheap plastic go pro stuff! GP mounts are so cheap, vibrate like crazy and even vibrated to failure on GMR one day. Causing my recorder to tumble about 30 yards at 30 MPH. Thank goodness their cameras are tough but the mounts are stupid lousy!

So I came across these aluminum thumbscrews. 3 long screws, acorn nuts, o ring, and a wrench to tighten and loosed the screw. ATTENTION!!!!  If you use these things, make sure to keep the wrench with you. I read one review where the guy tightened the screw by hand then couldn't get it off mid ride to relocate his recorder. Of course I think this dope did some pretty lousy reviews on youtube. Not sure why anybody would ask people to pay pal him money to keep his channel going when he totally sucks and gives bad info. So the wrench thing, I am not sure but I keep all necessary equipment when I use my recorders.

But WOW! I can actually lock my recorders down securely now with the aluminum screws. Again, why didn't anybody tell me about this years ago?!

So the set came with the 3 screws and wrench for $10. I ordered a set, got it, tested it, then knew I had to order more. Later I even decided to pick up some short screws as well. The screws I picked up are by a company named Spatree and are all over ebay. The wrench also fits the go pro crap screws ha ha! So I ended up ordering black then thought blue would be cool, then some blue short screws as well. I ended up buying 2 sets of long screws and 2 sets of short screws. All about 10 bucks but one was about $6 I think. I lost track ha ha!

But they are totally awesome sauce! So I also ordered a couple of Spatree tripod adapters in aluminum. Wow, what a big difference between the GP cheap plastic and the Spatree alum mounts. The Spatree come with 2 screws and the tripod mount for $10. I think I paid $10 for one cheap lousy tripod plastic mounts from GP that won't stay secure. SO these alum parts are great!

So then I see this tripod mount called Go Tough. Even better. Machined perfectly, thicker more secure than the Spatree. Cost a bit more,$10 for one but same as cheap GP plastic model. Totally awesome, more awesome, top of the line awesome machining and quality. A brass nut mounted into the fixture as well as the Spatree have a build in nut so no more worrying about losing acorn nuts, though I never have lost one. Just fallen off, so no more worries. The o ring, not needed. It's provided so you don't scratch the recorder but it's a case in my situation . Plus it expands with pressure so no need to fuss with it.

Then I see these other aluminum mounts.  What the heck, 2 for $10. Then I see a similar mount to my K edge HB mount and it is, 2 for $10. Wow, how can I pass that up after I paid $59 for one K Edge few years back?

From a place called Fotodiox, I ordered a buckle mount for the go pro. The only that is plastic is the buckles as there is no choice but plastic needing to flex to fit into the mount. That was $24 but from the same place that made the durable tripod mount. Pretty cool stuff.

The Smatree tripod mounts work well but need to be tightened as you feel the thinner flanges flex while tightening. That is why the blue tripod is nicer, this walls and little turning to attach.

Continued in a bit. :-)




While I was there, I ordered some mounts for my Cygolites. Now I can mount a light on my helmet. Thought it might be weird but testing it out, pretty cool, I like it! Again, like $10. Also picked up a Charge Spoon saddle. I have heard about these things for years. Very inexpensive and supposed to be comfortable. Like 10,000 good reviews and only 5 bad ones. Not bad for $20+. But we will see, planning to ride it tonight for the first time. I just can't see paying $175 for a Terry seat that I used over the years and only paying $60-$80. A jump to $175 is outrageous so on a prayer, maybe this Charge saddle will be decent.


Now Amazon, oh my I hate them! I first ordered the screws here way before the ebay parts. And I still haven't gotten them. MISLEADING!!!!! The ad said when I ordered that over $25 shipped in 5 to 8 days and FREE SHIPPING if the parts I order are handled by Amazon, which they are. What a crock!

So my free shipping is free but since they handle it, I had to pay an extra $5 for handling by Amazon, what!?  OK whatever but the longer they take, the more I think about it and I won't do Amazon again. Not sure what happened to my 5 to 8 days seeing I ordered stuff for about $35. All I know is I get ads asking if I want to speed up the process, all I have to do is pay more money. WTH! Seems like a scam to me so no, I waited this long already, I'll just wait a few more days and I will not return. As you can see, all my latest orders were from ebay and not amazon.

Same screws, same supplier, ebay I got 4 days after I ordered. Amazon, taking a month to get my parts when I expected 5 to 8 days.

Ebay is cool! Their ads say fast and free delivery. It's true but I make sure to look for the little emblem with the truck and look at guaranteed delivery dates. Amazon doesn't do that. Ebay tells you how long you will have to wait. I am not a waiter so I chose the fast delivery guys.

One item was late so I looked up what the guaranteed delivery date means. If they do not deliver your order when guaranteed, they give you a $5 voucher at next check out. Just have to wait till the next morning to make sure your package doesn't come then claim it. So heck, one part I thought was a bit expensice for what it way, I used the $5 voucher an hour after I got it ha ha! So a $15 dollar part cost only $10. I can live with that. So I love ebay and hate Amazon.

Ordered all the ebay stuff after Amazon and got just about all of it except the stuff I ordered yesterday which should be here within the week.

But really gets me is that  I had no idea these aluminum mounts, links, tripod adapters, extenders, bike HB clamps existed and for a great price! Still hard to believe, 2 of the K Edge like GB mounts for $10. Some will charge $12 each but look for the better prices and make sure to look at delivery dates and guaranteed deliveries. I believe all my purchases were from US stores so I get them fast. Not willing to order from China and wait a month. Though the parts I get are from the same place, I think the US shops stock them and send them from their shop's inventory. Though one place I ordered on ebay was shipped in an amazon prime package, from the same place  I ordered and still waiting on amazon,  but it was shipped by ebay under amazon name. How does that happen? The ebay store probably has an amazon prime account and acts as a 3rd party. But who cares, got my part fast and still waiting on amazom from the same supplier, almost a month after expecting the 8 days.


Either way, stop fussing with cheap gp plastic mounts and get this good stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment