Saturday, May 9, 2020

Solo SART 46

46 solo miles at 16.1 average speed. Man, is it getting windier or am I getting old? I did get a late start, maybe 11 am. One of those days you tell yourself you're going to get up early but the alarm clock goes off and you say screw it, another hour ha ha! Then I realize I didn't have gas in my truck so there goes another few minutes.

Got out there late so it seemed everyone was ending their rides or heading back as I was getting started. Good thing is that the traffic on the trail seemed a bit lighter today. Not sure why, late hours or just thinning out. The beach was open though so that's cool.

Ran into Joaquin at the coast. Had a little chat then he headed off to prep for mother's day. I headed back a while after he left and thankfully had a tailwind. Heading south toward the coast, oh my gosh! At one point I was pushing hard trying to keep my pace but only doing 12.7 MPH so I knew I was screwed ha ha! Is there ever a day........? But I survived.

Really strange the cyclists out there. One dude in a pretty nice kit just south of Imperial. I see two guys on the left shoulder at a stop. As I approach, one dude takes off and gets right in front of me. Uhhh OK. At least his friend was not so stupid. He looked back, saw me coming, about 10 yards away and waited till I went by. The other dope gets right in front of me so I have to slow, wait till it's safe then pass him. Nice outfit, too bad he is a disgrace to the kit ha ha!

So I pass the guy as he seems to be waiting for his buddy. I roll on then about 2 miles later, the dope rolls by. Some reason he felt the need to look right into my face as he passed. OK. Then his buddy passed about 30 seconds later. I have my mask but not over my face figuring I'm pretty much out on my own at this point.

So the dope rolls by, then his buddy. OK, not blazing fast so I slow half a step so they can open a gap because I really don't want to put my mask on at this point. Plus it is freakin' windy and I'm hoping to keep an open face to suck in some air. But they both pass me then fade about 30 seconds after they both finish their pass. OK, so now I'm backing off half a step and closing the 20 yard gap they opened. I'm not even trying hard but the dope guy keeps standing and pedaling like he's really struggling into the wind. SOoooooo why the heck did you pass me if you couldn't keep the pace?

So I pull right up on their wheels without trying and figure all I can do is go around now not wanting to breath in their fumes. Good thing they had masks on, I'll give them that. But I rolled around and lifted the pace a bit and boom, they're gone! I guess I just don't understand the dopiness.

Ad usual, the roadies are a big hazard imo. But today I did have 2 scares from family types. One was a little kid about 4 years old on a scooter. Walking with parents against traffic. I was passing on the far right being in the correct lane. I shouted out, gave a ding of the bell but still, the little kid swerved all the way over to the yellow line. Again, I was paying attention and expecting something to go wrong. Then somewhere around Kramer, I was approaching an underpass and there's a couple just starting the descent. OK Mr. Beanz, back off cause that chick looks like a freak! I back off and hope she can make it up on the other side before I get there. Nope! I'm on my way down as she hits the bottom. Just as I am approaching carefully, her foot comes flying off the pedal and she loses control of the bike with a scream. WTF!!!! OK, now some people just don't belong on the bike trail when your riding skills suck that much. That is just total lousy coordination.  I can see a slip up here and there by anybody, but this gal sucked and was a real threat to everybody on the trail. I could see it even before I got there. But again, we need to avoid being ass wipes ourselves and think about how we can survive even if it means losing .1 on our average speeds.

And speaking of a holes, on the freeway today. See a guy with road bikes racked on the roof of his little silver Toyota, small car. He's taking the 57 south offramp then realizes he should be on the 60 east instead. So what does he do? He drives across the big V that separates the ramps at 70 MPH and cuts off a couple of other cars so he can switch directions like an idiot.

I bring this up because I get sick of cyclists on bike forums crying and complaining about drivers hating them blah blah blah. We all know that most cyclists also drive and many of them are the a holes being brought up in the forums. I see way too many a hole cyclists, and cyclists in their cars being A-1 a holes so the constant whining gets tiresome. Open your eyes people! Worst thing is when a cyclist just gets done telling you have bad drivers are, how dangerous they are then you see them ride off practically running pedestrians and other cyclists off the road and trails. Heck, I rode with some dude with the same moron personality then on the ride we were on, he hit a hiker on the MTB trail. Wow!

But anyway, it was freakin' windy! The flag at Edna Park, knew I was in trouble at this point.


Joaquin.


My "it's freakin' windy!" face! I did take these pics on the return because heading south, I didn't have the energy to take pics ha ha!


Maybe if I had worn the mask, the crybaby face wouldn't show!


No comments:

Post a Comment