Saturday, May 30, 2020

Corona to San Clemente 62 miler

San Clemente then a train ride back. Ride with Erik P and his gang. pics for now. 62 miles with nearly 2k climbing. Seemed most of it closer to SC along the coast. I had never done this ride before so not sure what to expect or if I'd like it. I was pleasantly surprised.

Started out a little fast. I usually take 5 miles to warm up but when you're with a group, you got to jump on it so you don't fall too far behind. But knowing where the first regroup point, I actually backed off the pace so I could warm up. I was probably the last one to the first point but that was cool, still have 55 more and I know I'd warm up sooner or later ha ha!

So we headed out from the Green River trail head, the first point. I caught onto a wheel, Tom's. He seems kind of fast so I wanted to get a few good shots of the faster riders before they vanished. So the next point was Yorba Park. Started feeling good so I noticed the faster guys taking off, I thought I better catch up before they got too far. Luckily got a little help from another guy trying to catch up. I'm not used to riding with the fast guys on a crowded trail so I somewhat backed off  not wanting to get hurt looking for a video scene. But I managed to stick with them for a while. At one point I was on Ricky's wheel heading toward Taft. Feeling pretty good till he hit 23, then it was tough hanging on his wheel. I knew I still had quite a ways so I backed off not wanting to cramp or something. I know there are a few hills on the coast.

Another regroup at the train station. Then the group heads out and I hop on it rather quickly to get some footage. All is going well till the rider I am following slips back and leaves a gap between me and the fast guys. Oh well, no big deal. I slow down to let the chasing group catch up, I'll get some footage there. But pretty soon I find myself out in no man's land. Ha ha, funny, group of 30 or so and I'm alone. So I just slow and let a chasing group roll by. I jumped on the back. I don't draft much usually but when the group is rolling, it takes extra energy to record. Also pulling out to the side and getting the group shot while hanging out in the wind. But it all worked out for fun!

Later we stopped at A Market for a bite to eat. Big mistake as I am like a really slow eater. I had waited at a regroup with Erik, waiting for the last few to arrive. He tells the faster guys to go on ahead. So by the time we get to the market, most are eating and I still have to stand in a social distance line trying to get a sandwich. Well, good sandwich but had to throw away a little less than half as the group was getting ready to roll. $9 sandwich, heartbreaking ha ha! So next time I'll take a P&J instead. Far more convenient on the road and I hate lines to start with.

Then we head along the coastline. Hit a few hills but I felt great! Well, did have my best month in a long long time.

I had about 490 miles. 478 on strava but a couple of times I forgot to start my Garmin being distracted with the video on group rides. Once missing about 10 miles and 5 on another. So hey, best month I have had and pretty happy about that getting in a little more cycling time.

So along the coast I was able to open up a little. Push myself up the hills with a good effort. Wow, felt really good like I haven't for years. I had never been to San Clemente and don't much about the train so it was cool. Only $10? Heck, I thought it was like $40 or so. So not a big deal to go along on the next few SC rides. We did start in Corona at the train station if I forgot to mention that. The entire ride was much less of a hassle than I expected. I thought maybe a overcrowded train ride, boy was I wrong. Plenty of room and our bikes in the car with us.

Had to hang out at the beach for a bit. We were hoping to get the early train at 3:15 but arrived 2 hours early, great! Some people sat at a little joint there and ate. I hate lines so I just stood around at the base of the pier and watched people while talking to a few new friends. Could have had a burger, or soft serve ice cream but strangely enough, I didn't feel like eating. Next time I'll get the soft serve if anything for a novelty treat ha ha!

So it was a cool ride and purty views. Nice people, new friends, and a good ride. About 30 people, no crashes, incidents or flats.




















No comments:

Post a Comment